Root Canal Therapy
Root Canal in Houston TX
Endodontics is the specialization of treating tooth pain and addressing complications that lie within the pulp or root of the teeth. Royal Dental has many dentists trained to help relieve even your worst tooth pain for good.
What types of procedures are involved in endodontics?
Endodontists perform a variety of procedures including root canals, root canal resection, the repair of cracked teeth, and treating dental trauma. Root canals are one of the most common procedures used in endodontics.
What is a Root Canal?
If the dental pulp becomes diseased or injured, a root canal may be required to save the tooth.
Steps involved in performing a root canal:
- An opening is made through the crown of the tooth into the pulp chamber; this is performed with a dental drill.
- The infected or injured pulp is removed, and the root canals are cleaned, enlarged and shaped.
- The infected area is medicated.
- The root canals are filled.
- The crown opening is filled with a temporary filling.
Will receiving a Root Canal also require a dental crown?
Yes. If there is not enough tooth structure left for retention after your root canal procedure to support a crown, a post will be placed down the tooth root. Then a crown buildup will be made and placed around the post where the crown will be placed. Learn more about dental crowns here.
What happens if my Root Canal doesn’t work or I am still in pain?
Sometimes the infection persists even after root canal therapy. In these cases, an apicoectomy, or root end resection can be performed to remove diseased tissue.
What to expect during a Root Canal
This procedure involves:
- An incision is made to allow access to the base of the tooth. The inflamed or infected pulp is treated and the canals are carefully cleaned and shaped.
- A small filling may be placed in the remaining tip of the tooth to seal the root canal. The gum tissue is stitched back into place.
- A crown is placed to protect the tooth.
Schedule an appointment
For more information on root canals, or to schedule an appointment, call Royal Dental in Houston TX today at (713) 330-7700!